Twit It >>

3/14/08

Corporeal Descent by Tariq Rafiq

Tariq Rafiq a talented artist from the United States, was born in Kabul Afghanistan. He has created a wide range of paintings in Surrealism. In addition to surrealism he has also created modern abstract paintings and sketches. He plays with Oil and Acrylic to put his incredible imagination on canvas. He also creates watercolor drawings.

I had the chance to interview him about one of his latest creations “Corporeal Descent” - a Surrealism painting.

Hi Tariq I saw your art gallery and”Corporeal Descent” really impresses me. Tell me what’s the inspiration you have for this painting? And give me more details about the painting.


I created this painting for an upcoming exhibition and this one was a hard one to do because its 48 inches by 60 inches and I hadn't created artwork that big for years. I get inspiration for my artwork from many different sources. I am inspired by the work of other great artists, my music and the people in my life. I am especially inspired by the work of Picasso and Dali. Over the years, I have drawn so much that my brain is consumed with ideas. When I start a sketch or painting I start off with an idea and then the painting takes me somewhere else and after a while the painting seems to be controlling my thinking process and my hand. My art is an expression of my subconscious mind.

What story does “Corporeal Descent” tell?
As far as the story that it tells--- I create paintings in a manner that will challenge the eye and mind of my audiences. Creating stories through my paintings are one of my goals, without the obvious and clear meaning. I hope that the final story is created in the viewer's own mind.


Can you tell me what other peoples reactions have been to this painting?
The public reaction to this painting has been very positive. One of my friends had an image of this painting at her job and her co-worker thought that it was a Dali painting. Dali was one of the greatest painters of all time and it was a really great honor for me.

Additional comments and complements about "Corporeal Descent:

The “Corporeal Descent” speaks to death. or more precisely the moments before death ... the life, dreams, aspirations etc of the person being re-lived or remembered and thus let go as the person descends into the unknown after-life. – by Randy P

A sheer masterpiece! I have seen a lot of your work and it all speaks to me, but this one, wow! There is a pleasing contrast between the relative simplicity of the sky and the complexity of the world below with your trademark combination of geometric abstracts and humanoid features. As usual you have utilized colors that complement each other beautifully and at 48 by 60 inches I'm sure that the original would take my breath away. I hope to see it one day. – by Omar Z

Visit Tariq Rafiq Art Gallery For more Art



0 comments: